Jabalpur is a city in the Mahakaushal region of state of Madhya Pradesh in India. It is the largest urban agglomeration in Madhya Pradesh and the 19th largest urban agglomeration in India as per the 2011 census statistics. The area of Jabalpur City is largest in Madhya Pradesh but is divided between different census towns and municipalities and is therefore considered to be the third largest city area wise in Madhya Pradesh. It is still counted as the third most populous city of Madhya Pradesh after Indore and Bhopal because a large population within the actual city is not under the control of the Jabalpur Municipal Corporation.
It is bordered by Katni to the north, Umaria to the north-east, Dindori to the east, Mandla to the south-east, Seoni to the south, Narsimhapur to the south-west and Damoh to the north-west. Jabalpur is the administrative headquarters of Jabalpur district (the second most populous district of Madhya Pradesh) and Jabalpur division.
Geographically an important place, the ruling Gond dynasty of Jabalpur lent its name to the primordial continental mass Gondwanaland. Historically, a center of Kalchuri and Gond dynasties, Jabalpur developed a syncretic culture influenced by the intermittent reigns of the Maratha and Mughal empires. In the early nineteenth century, it was gradually annexed in British India as Jubbulpore and incorporated as a major cantonment town. Post-independence, there have been demands for a separate state of Mahakoshal with Jabalpur as its capital.
Jabalpur was also the epicenter of a major earthquake in 1997. The geographic center of the contiguous India is located 30 km east of Jabalpur in Katangi village. Jabalpur is known for its picturesque marble rock formations (Bhedaghat) across the banks of the river Narmada. Being the army headquarters of five states (Madhya Pradesh, Chattisgarh, Orissa, Bihar and Jharkhand), one-sixth of the city is occupied by the Indian Army.
Jabalpur is the birthplace of snooker, a historic heart of Hindi literature movement and a prominent regional education hub. It is also a major spiritual center being the birthplace of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and Osho Rajneesh and the site of important Jain shrines. These factors lie behind the oft-quoted city’s moniker Sanskaardhaani or the Cultural-Capital. Several important federal and state institutions are located in Jabalpur including the Madhya Pradesh High Court, Madhya Pradesh Electricity Board, Tropical Forest Research Institute, several ordinance factories and West Central Railway zonal headquarters.
There is no consensus on the origin of the name Jabalpur. Some scholars believe it could have stemmed from the Arabic root “Jah-BAYL” meaning “mountain, hill or slope” (as elevations) of “Purwa” region, hence Jah-bayl-purwa or Jabalpur, since the black granite hills are prominent geological formations found in the Garha-Purwa region of Jabalpur. An unrelated termJauli-pattala has been found in a few post-Gupta and Kalchuri inscriptions found in Jabalpur. It has been hypothesized that Jabalpur may be a cognate of the Afghan city of Zabulistan since a princess of this Afghan city was married to one of the Kalchuri rulers of Tripuri, who later founded Jauli-pattala to settle the people from Zabulistan. Popularly, but less likely, Jabalpur is postulated to be mythological Jabalipattan or Jabalipuram of the legendary atheist sage Jaabaali mentioned in the epic Ramayana, as his tapasya-bhoomi (= place of penance) though no such evidence exists. In 2006, the Jabalpur Municipal Corporation controversially passed a resolution to rename the city to Jabalipuram.
Ashokan relics have been found in Rupnath, a place 84 kms north of Jabalpur, suggesting the existence of human civilization here dating back to c. 300 BCE. Much later in history, Karanbel (now called Tripuri/Tewar) on the outskirts of current Jabalpur was the capital of the famous Kalchuri kingdom in the 9th–10th centuries CE.
The Haihayas and Gonds
In c. 875 CE, the region was taken over by the Kalachuri dynasty who made Karanbel (Tripuri/Tewar) near Jabalpur their capital. In the 13th century CE, the Gonds seized it and made it their capital. Inscriptions record the existence during the 11th and 12th centuries of a local line of princes of the Haihai people who are closely connected with the history of Gondwana.
First painting ever made on Maharani Durgavati shown gearing-up for battle of Narrai. This fresco by Beohar Rammanohar Sinha is in Jabalpur’s Shaheed-Smarak.Gond Raja Madansahi (ruled c. 1138-1157 CE) of Mandla constructed a bastion in the 12th century CE on top of a hill which, after him, was named Madan-Mahal. In the 16th century CE, Maharaja Sangramsahi (ruled c. 1491-1543 CE), who ruled for almost 52 years, extended his power to over 52 districts, including the twin-townships of Garha-Katanga. He started administering the region from here, thus the name Garha-Mandla. He was the longest reigning monarch and his period is believed to be the golden era in the history of Garha-Mandla region. A large number of projects of public interest were undertaken during his reign. His daughter-in-law was the infamous Rani Durgavati who ruled from Singaurgarh fort in Sangrampur. During the reign of his minor grandson VeerNarayan (ruled by Queen-Mother Rani Durgavati c. 1550-1564 CE), Khwaja Abdul Majeed Harawi bearing the title ‘Asaf-Khan or Commander’ as viceroy of Kara Manikpur, conquered the Garha-Mandla principality. In this battle of Narrai in 1564 CE, the Gond Queen-Mother Rani Durgavati made supreme sacrifice, along with her prime minister Adhar Simha Kayastha and others. Initially, ‘Asaf-Khan’ or Commander of Mughal Emperor Akbar’s forces, held Garha-Mandla as an independent chief but eventually submitted to the Mughal emperor Akbar. After Raja Sangramsahi, the next most illustrious king was Raja Hridaysahi (ruled c. 1652-1704 CE) who, coincidentally, also ruled for almost 52 years. He ruled the Garha-Mandla region from Chauragarh fort but later moved the capital to Ramnagar in c. 1652 CE and then back to Mandla fort in c. 1698 CE for strategic reasons. Most of the waterbodies (lakes, reservoirs, stepwells, dams, wells) are from his time. The last Gond ruler who ruled efficiently was Nizamsahi (ruled c. 1753-1780 CE) after whom the Gond kingdom collapsed and the Maratha took over.
The Mughal Empire, however, enjoyed little more than a nominal supremacy; and the Gond-administrators of Garha-Mandla maintained a practical independence from Raja Hridaysahi onwards. The scenario remained so until their subjugation by the Maratha governors of Sagar in c. 1781 CE. They called it Jabbalgarh. In c. 1798 CE, the Maratha Peshwa granted the Nerbuddah valley to the Bhonsle kings of Nagpur, who continued to hold the district until the British occupied it in c. 1818 CE after defeating the Marathas. The British made Jabbalgarh the commission headquarters of the Saugor and Nerbudda Territories and established a cantonment here.
The Coat of Arms or Crest of the Jagirdars of Jubbulpore.
There were periods of power-shifts from one ruler to other. During such transitional turmoils, Jubbulpore’s Beohar family played significant role in safeguarding region’s interests. Beohars were Jagirdars (like Dukes or Earls) who looked after inter-state relations. In peace, they were ambassadors and defendants of their state’s traditions/customs Vyauhar and during war became gallantry knight-commanders or Sardar, thus, the title-prefix Sardar-Beohar with salutation Rajman-Rajeshri. Their ancestor Adhar Simha Kayasth, as Rani Durgavati’s ambassador, went to Akbar’s court and, as knight-commander, led the army and laid his life for the nation. Much later, estates were granted to R.R. Sardar-Beohar Kehari Simha (c. 1735-1845) by Gond rulers for bravery in battlefields. He detained Clive’s messenger Jainualbdeen in the region but let him go after intervention from Raja Nizamsahi and Raja Janoji Bhonsle. A chapter in Sir Sleeman’s book ‘Rambles and Recollections..’ is devoted to Beohar Kehri Simha. R.R. Beohar Dariyav Simha (c. 1760-1850), as minister of Raja Raghoji II Bhonsle, headed the army to win battles of 1792-93 and 1799-1801 defeating pindari Mir Khan. He hosted the orientalist Vedic-scholar Sir Colebrooke at Beohar-Palace on embankment of Phootatal-reservoir in 1801 CE and took him to his Burhagarh, Gosalpur and Jujhari. His pioneering initiatives against Thuggee were taken further by Sleeman. R.R. Beohar Gandharv Simha (c. 1780-1852) rescued Garha-Mandla’s Rani Laxmankuwari and Prince Nerbuddabux from Visaji Chandokar and crowned him in 1842 ousting cousin Shankarsahi. The Beohar title-prefix and their Riyasat were respected by Nagpur’s Bhonsle, Saugor’s Peshwa, and British who later became hostile due to the family’s nationalism. R.R. Beohar Aman Simha (c. 1830-1890) joined Raja Shankarsahi in 1857 movement. Beohar Raghuvir Simha (1877-1960) was last Jagirdar in whose memory, Civil Lines (North) is known as Beohar Bagh and RailwayStadium-to-Adhartal road as Beohar Raghuvir Sinha Road.
The British Raj and 1857
Under the British Raj, Jabbalgarh became Jubbulpore and was made the capital of the Saugor and Nerbudda Territories, which was part of the British North-Western Provinces. At that time it became infamous for the Thuggee murders but made more famous by the man who suppressed thugs, Sleeman (then Major), who was later appointed Chief Commissioner at Jubbulpore and eventually British Resident at Lucknow. For the noble cause of rehabilitation of thugs’ families who were called gurinds, the Beohar-family allowed their piece of land known as Gurandi in the heart of the town.
The historic ‘Beohar-Palace’ in the old city of Jabalpur where Gandhi, Nehru, Azad, Patel and other national leaders stayed in December 1933 and a session of All India Congress Committee was held.In Jubbulpore cantonment, Gadadhar Tiwari, on 16-06-1857, opened fire on his European superiors and sparked the Independence movement. His supreme sacrifice did not go waste as the movement caught momemtum in the region, albeit, was short lived. It broiled for more than four months during which the British were petrified, became extremely vulnerable and dreaded the worst. They ran out not only of support but also of supplies and were besieged along with European women and children in their own citadel – the Agency Mansion (now Divisional Commissioner’s residence). They survived only because a pro-British local banker-merchant came to their rescue which bought them time for reinforcements to arrive. The 1857 movement was locally spearheaded by Gond Raja Shankarsahi and Prince Raghunathsahi who were later arrested and detained in a jail which still exists next to the DRM office. The same pro-British local banker-merchant’s spys Girdharilal and Sumersingh fabricated and planted written evidence at the citadel of Raja Shankarsahi to prove conspiracy against the British. While the banker-merchant received rich favours, recognitions and rewards from the British, the freedom movement culminated with the martyrdom of Raja Shankarsahi and Prince Raghunathsahi from the mouth of a cannon on 18-09-1857 at the very spot where Lady Elgin Hospital now stands. Subsequently, their supporters and masterminds Jagat Singh Rajput, Beohar Aman Simha, Ganga Mishra, Sooraj Prasad and others went underground and never surfaced. Their estates and assets were confiscated.
End of 19th Century CE
The Saugor and Nerbudda Territories became part of the new Central Provinces in 1861 which in 1903 became the Central Provinces and Berar. By the early 20th century CE, Jubbulpore became the headquarters of a brigade in the 5th division of the Southern Army.
Beohar Rajendra Sinha helping his guest Mahatma Gandhi on the staircase of Beohar Palace in Jabalpur in 1933 during Bapu’s historic Harijan Yatra.Gandhian Era.
Mahatma Gandhi’s longest and most important stay in Jubbulpore was in 1933 at the Beohar-Palace of Beohar Rajendra Simha. Mahatma was accompanied by Jawaharlal Nehru, Vallabhbhai Patel, Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan, Ravishankar Shukla, Dr Mukhtar Ahmed Ansari, Khurshed Nariman, Abul Kalam Azad, Jamnalal Bajaj, Dr Syed Mahmud, Mahadev Desai, and many others, and a meeting of AICC/CWC was held at the Beohar-Palace. Bapu’s grandson Kanu (son of Ramdas Gandhi) also stayed with him at the Beohar-Palace at Sathia Kua near Hanumantal. Mahatma Gandhi’s memorabilia of that occasion are still well preserved by descendents of Beohar-dynasty at The Beohar House in Beohar Bagh. Many freedom fighters voluntarily gave up comforts of life and family and plunged into Gandhiji’s three-S (swadeshi, swaraj and satyagrah) movements and the freedom struggle at large. In the wake of India’s independence and nation building, they happily and gracefully embraced the harshes of long jail-sentences. Such bravehearts from Jubbulpore included Ravishankar Shukla, Sunderlal Tapasvi, Beohar Rajendra Simha, Laxman Singh Chauhan, Seth Govind Das, Harihar Vyas, Maheshdatt Mishra, Deviprasad Shukla, Subhadra Kumari Chauhan, Hukumchand Narad, Makhanlal Chaturvedi, Balmukund Tripathi, Dwarka Prasad Mishra, Kunjilal Dubey, Narsinghdas Agrawal, Rameshwarprasad Guru, Bhawaniprasad Tiwari, Kashiprasad Pandey, Nathuram Vyas, Chidambaram Pillai, Sawaimal Jain, Satyendra Mishra, Sitaram Jadhav, Mulayamchand Jain and many-many more..
The Tripuri Congress session in 1939 was presided over by Subhash Chandra Bose. Jhanda Satyagraha was launched under Lokmanya Tilak’s direction. A Congress session was held at Vishnudatt Shukla Nagar at TilwaraGhat (near Jubbulpore) in 1939 when Subhash Chandra Bose was elected the Congress President against the wishes of Mahatma Gandhi.
(L-to-R) LS Chauhan, RS Shukla, Beohar Rajendra Sinha immersing Mahatma Gandhi’s ashes in TilwaraGhat near Jabalpur.Post Independence.
After India’s independence in 1947, Jubbulpore became Jabalpur. Because of Bapu’s strong linkages with Jabalpur and his very special love for it, his mortal remains were brought to the city after is martyrdom. After going through the entire city, the urn containing Mahatma Gandhi’s ashes were immersed in holy river Narmada by Pt. R.S. Shukla, Beohar Rajendra Simha, Seth Govind Das and others on 12-02-1948 in TilwaraGhat where a massive unprecedented condolence meeting was held. In 1950-51, the Central Provinces and Berar became the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh and Pandit Ravi Shankar Shukla became the first Chief Minister of a Congress led Government.
The city of Jabalpur was first chosen to become the capital of newly formed Madhya Pradesh but later the decision was somehow amended and Bhopal was suddenly chosen the capital of the state under the pretext of defence settlements within Jabalpur despite the fact that many capitals viz. Lucknow, Dehradun, Delhi, Secunderabad, Ahmedabad, Chennai, Shimla, Patna, etc., have cantonments and other strategic defence establishments.
Jabalpur is located at 23°10?N 79°57?E? / ?23.17°N 79.95°E? / 23.17; 79.95.The central point of India is located in Jabalpur district. It has an average elevation of 411 metres (1348 feet).
The topography of Jabalpur provides a picturesque setting for movies .The hills of Jabalpur, with varied mineral content are a popular destination for Geologists and Archaeologists. The city is surrounded by low, rocky, and barren hillocks. The main water reservoirs of Khandari and Pariyat are located to the north-east direction of the city. Water is also drawn from Narmada River by Public Health Dept. The main crops are wheat, rice, pulses, oilseeds, and maize.Bargi Dam on the river Narmada is used for irrigation, water supply and power generation. The town is surrounded by several lakes and water tanks. The area is rich in limestone, refractory clay, bauxite, iron ore, manganese and other deposits.There are few industries connected with above minerals in the area.
Jabalpur has a humid subtropical climate, typical of North-Central India. Summer starts in late March and last up to June. May is the hottest month with average temperatures reaching up to and beyond 45 C. They are followed by monsoon season, which lasts until early October, with a total precipitation of nearly 55 in (1386 mm). Winter starts in late November and last until early March. They peak in January with average temperature near 7 C.
As of 2001 India census, Jabalpur had a population of 1276853. Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%. Jabalpur has an average literacy rate of 75%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 79%, and female literacy is 70%. In Jabalpur, 12% of the population is under 6 years of age. By 2015, estimates are that the city will double to two & half million people. Listed population of the city further increased with setting up of Central government units. Jabalpur actually is the largest city of Madhya Pradesh but is counted after Bhopal and Indore, because a large population in the city does not come in control of Jabalpur municipal corporation the area includes census towns of VFJ, GCF, GIF, OFK,GWARIGHAT ,PANAGAR,BARELA and MAHARAJPUR located within the city and some even in the centre of the city.Jabalpur is the largest urban agglomeration in Madhya Pradesh, 15th largest urban agglomeration in India and ranks 195th in the world with a population of 2,460,714 (2011).
The Narmada river bringing in fresh water from the Vindyachal Ranges has developed Jabalpur district into an agrarian economy. The land of the Narmada basin with its fertile alluvial soil gives good yields of sorghum, wheat, rice and millet in the villages around Jabalpur.
Important among commercial crops are pulses, oilseeds, cotton, sugar cane and medicinal crops. The state is poised for a breakthrough in soybean cultivation. In Kharif crops occupy 60% and Rabi crops 40% area with 71.4% area under food grain production. Nearly 59% of landholders are marginal whereas small farmers share 18% of farmland. Low literacy rates (35.45%), undulating topography, high percentages of waste land (13.2%), underdeveloped irrigation potential (23%), low ground water utilization, large proportion of rain fed agriculture (75%), practice of Kharif fallows (3.6%), low cropping intensity (131%), low fertilizer consumption (50 kg/ha), high proportion of low value crops, and high numbers of unproductive livestock constrain production in the state.
Jabalpur has a variety of industries largely based in mineral substances of economic value found in the district, although the ready-made garments industry is a substantial portion of production in Jabalpur.
Defence establishments started in the early 20th century. Jabalpur has four ordnance factories. The Gun Carriage Factory was started in the year 1904 is well equipped and manufacture gun parts, mounting, shells and a variety of the other product for war purpose. Vehicle Factory Jabalpur (VFJ) was started as manufacturer of trucks named SHAKTIMANN. Other two are Grey Iron Foundry (GIF) and Ordnance Factory Khamaria (OFK).
Armed forces make a large portion of the city and economy in this city. The city has three regimental centres: Grenadiers, Jammu and Kashmir rifles and the Signals regiment. Jabalpur is also the Army Head Quarters of Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Chattisgarh and Orrisa(Odisha, now).
Jabalpur is an important Divisional Headquarters having 8 districts: Jabalpur, Seoni, Mandla, Chhindwara, Narsimhapur, Katni, Dindori, Balaghat. The Jabalpur District has been reconstituted on May 25, 1998. It now has four tehsils Jabalpur, Sihora, Patan and Kundam. Jabalpur also has the headquarters of the Madhya Pradesh State Electricity Board, Homeguards and many other State and Central Government Offices. There are 7 Blocks in the district with 1449 inhabited villages, 60 uninhabited, 1209 revenue villages and 4 forest villages. The presence of several industries in Jabalpur bolstered the industrial scenario of the city. However the industrial growth of the area owes much to the defense establishments and the four ordinance factories.
The presence of the military base and the ordinance factories have improved the infrastructure of the city. This have boosted the industrial development of Jabalpur. The four ordinance factories in Jabalpur are the Grey iron foundry, the ordinance factory in Khamaria, the gun carriage factory and the vehicle factory.
The important industries in Jabalpur are:
Readymade Garments units
Electrical goods industry
Wood cutting industry
Industries relating to lime stone products
Furniture making industry
Shaw Wallace Gelatin Factory
Steel Structures works
Commercial Engineers & Body Builders Co Limited [CEBBCO ]
Food processing industry
Vendors for Coca-Cola India & Parle India
The presence of the river Narmada, rule of Gond and Kalchuri-Maratha dynasties made Jabalpur a Hindu dominated area. Mughal rule brought in a sizable Muslim population. The city had Hindu-Muslim riots in the 1960s. There has been a sharp decline in these riots owing to gradual, yet slow path to progress. The culture is dominantly related to agricultural population of the city and surrounding areas. The food and clothing change with the harvest of crops in every season, usually observed by Hindus.
Jabalpur has a very cosmopolitan feel about it where you can find people of almost all major religions and castes in India. The city has Marwari, Bengali, Malyali, Tamil, Telugu, Kannadiga, Marathi, and Punjabi people in sizable ratios and there are people from other regions of India as well. The city has been a stage for many cultural inventions and many traditional rituals. The city has been peaceful since a long time after the 1960s and now is marching forward towards development in the spheres of infrastructure and industries.It is a city of culture,where each festival is celebrated with great pomp.But the major one is NAVRATRI AND DUSHEERA WITH IS CELEBRATED WITH FULL POMP AND ENERGY.Not only residents but also visiters from all over MP come to see the DURGA PRATIMAS of the city.
Jabalpur is covered by a large network of optical fibre cables. There are four fixed telephone line operators in the city: BSNL, Reliance, Tata and Airtel. There are eight mobile phone companies in which GSM players include BSNL, Reliance, Vodafone, Idea, Airtel, Tata DoCoMo, Aircel, Videocon; CDMA services offered by BSNL, Virgin Mobile, Tata Indicom and Reliance. 3G Mobile Services are provided by Idea, BSNL, Reliance, Tata Docomo.BSNL has two factories and India’s biggest telecom training institute- BRBRAITT in Jabalpur.HQ of BSNL T&D Circle is also in Jabalpur.
AirlinesThe Jabalpur Airport, near IIITDM (IATA Code: JLR), also known as DUMNA Airport, is about 25 km from the city. Kingfisher Airlines and Indian Airlines operate daily flight service for New Delhi. Kingfisher Airlines operates daily flight to Mumbai & Indore from Jabalpur airport.
RoadGood bus service is available for cities in Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh.It has direct bus service to Indore, Nagpur, Bhopal, Raipur, Bilaspur, Gondiya, Wardha, Durg, Bhilai, Amravati, Chandrapur, Varanasi, Allahabad. For these cities Luxury/Sleeper/Air conditioned bus are available at good frequencies. Jabalpur is connected by road to Nagpur, Bhopal, Jaipur, Raipur, Allahabad, Hyderabad, Bangalore. Longest National Highway no.7 and National Highway no.12 run through the city. Consistent efforts are made by the Government of Madhya Pradesh and NHAI to keep roads in good condition. Many roads are being converted into four lane highways.
Jabalpur is the headquarters of West Central Railways and has direct rail connection to important cities like Mumbai, NewDelhi, Chennai, Kolkata, Ahmedabad, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Nagpur, Surat, Pune, Patna, Ludhiana, Jammu,Vaso-Da-Gama, Coimbatore, Bhopal, Indore, Agra, Jaipur, Varanasi, Kanpur,Vadodara, Bhubhaneshwar,Lucknow, Puri etc.Work to convert Gondia-Nainpur-Jabalpur narrow gauge to broad gauge has been started under Project Unigauge. This will provide new options to reach areas of Southern India. Apart from Jabalpur Main Station, Jabalpur city also has the Madan Mahal Station which generally caters to passengers from the inner part of the city and the Kachhpura goods shed which is used for transporting large goods and iron ore to port cities like..
There are a number of print and broadcast sources in the region.
NewspapersThe Jabalpur media houses employ both English and Hindi language reporting, and include:
RadioThe radio channels available in Jabalpur include:
Station Name Frequency(MHz) Tagline
Red FM 93.5 Bajaate raho..
MY FM 94.3 Jiyo Dil se!
Radio Mirchi 98.3 Its Hot!
Radio Dhamaal 106.4 Dhinchak
Akashvani 102.9 __
Gyan Vani 105.6 __
TVParas TV Office is in Jabalpur, M.P., inaugurated on September 11, 2010.
Bheda Ghat – Marble Rocks
Bhedaghat, a major tourist attraction, a village situated on the banks of the Narmada, is known for its marble rocks at a distance about 25 kms from Jabalpur by road. Major attractions are the Duandhar waterfall, marble gorge, and the Chausath Yogini temple. Boat ride is available from the Panchavti ghat in amist several kilometer long marble gorge in river Narmada. The BhedaGhat and Dhuandhar serve as a site for movie shooting, and marble for statuary.
Dhuandhar waterfall near Jabalpur is a major tourist attraction.Dhuandhar
The Dhuandhar Falls in Bhedaghat is a well known sight where one witnesses beautiful scenery and complete tranquility. The beautiful falls is rough yet calm, soft yet loud and undoubtedly breathtaking.The waterfall is located 25 km from Jabalpur on the Narmada river.Dhuandhar Falls or the smoke cascade is a beautiful waterfall in Bhedaghat. The Narmada River after passing the Marble Rocks narrows to become a smoky waterfall. The plunge of Dhuandhar Falls is sudden and hence has a greater effect. This beautiful fall is a spectacular sight in Bhedaghat.
Chausath-Yogini (Sixty Four female Yogis)
The Chausath-Yogini temple is situated atop a hill rock and approached by a long flight of steps. Dedicated to Lord Shiva, this c. 10th century CE temple has carved stone figures of deities belonging to the Kalchuri period, arranged in a circular order. According to local legends, this ancient temple is connected to the Gond Queen-Mother Durgavati’s palace of Singaurgarh in Sangrampur as well as to the Maharaja Madansahi’s Madan-Mahal bastion through underground passages. These passages offerred safety to the visiting royalties in addition to allowing escape route in times of distress.
Vaishnav-Shaiva temples and ghats constructed by the Beohar-dynasty in c. 16-18th century CE in LametaGhat near Jabalpur alongside the eastern shore of holy river Narmada upstream of the Marble Gorge ‘BheraGhat’.LametaGhat
The holy location is a few kilometers upstream of the Marble Rocks accessible from the Dhuadhar waterfall as well as the Tilwara-Medical bypass. There are several temples constructed by the Beohar-dynasty between c. 16-18th century CE, including the till-top Radhika-Madhav Temple (also referred to as Radha-Krishna/Radha-Govind Temple), and Rudra-Bhaskar (also known as Shiv-Surya Temple). The entire temple complex, housing about 6-7 temples and a dharmshala on the banks of Narmada, is collectively referred-to as Shankarji Maharaj Mandir Parisar after the main temple. Most of the temples were constructed either by R.R. Sardar-Beohar Kehari Simha (c. 1735-1845) or his son Beohar Dariyav Simha (c.1760-1850). Following the earthquake of 1997, some of these are dilapidated whereas others have been repaired and/or renovated. Even the ghats were first constructed by the Beohar-dynasty which are recently refurbished extensively with funds from Narmada Ghati Vikas Pradhikaran or Narmada Valley Development Authority NVDA. Though open to public at large, the temples actually belong to Beohar-family’s private trust, the Sri Radhakrishna Charitable Private Trust, Managing Trustee Beohar Dr Anupam Sinha and the local custodianship is under the family priest Pandit Santosh Dubey Ji Maharaj. Lameta formations, Lametasaurus, Jubbulpuria, etc., are world-famous terms given after this place – hence it is far more important a destination on global tourism map than Bheraghat or Marble Rocks, and is far more likely to be nominated as UNESCO’s World Heritage Site.
Where Mahatma Gandhi’s ashes were immersed in the Narmada by Beohar Rajendra Simha, Pandit Ravishankar Shukla, Laxman Singh Chauhan, Seth Govind Das and other national leaders.
Rani Durgavati Memorial and Museum
Dedicated to the memory of the great Queen-Mother Rani Durgavati, the monument is on Samadhi-road off Barela/Mandla/Raipur Highway on the banks of Narrai rivulet in the village Barha some 15 kms from Jabalpur.
In the city, there is a museum which houses a fine collection of Sculptures, Inscriptions and Prehistoric Relics. The museum also has independent halls for coins and another for Gonds in the first floor. Despite region’s rich political pre-independence history, there are no Sanads (manuscripts) and sepia photographs on display. The ground floor houses scluptures from ancient times. The museum also sells its publications. Its Contemporary Art Gallery has recently been upgraded by INTACH to world standards and houses painting of M.F. Hussain.
Bargi damBargi Dam
On the river Narmada in tribal village called Bargi. Local authorities have started a cruise boat which runs on the reservoir of Bargi dam. Bargi Dam is located on the Jabalpur – Nagpur NH – 7 highway. About 40 km / 45 mins. from Jabalpur city, Tourist Destination Bargi Dam is built on Narmada river. Tourists can enjoy water-sports in Bargi Dam.Madhya Pradesh State Tourism Development Corporation (MPSTDC) has encouraged water sports in Bargi dam. For accommodation, MP Tourism has its hotel and restaurant in Bargi Dam. Tourists can enjoy Cruise ride, motor boat ride, speed boat ride in reservoir water.
Antique frescoes on the walls of ‘Shaheed-Smarak’, this one depicting the ‘Quit India Movement’ in Jabalpur by famous artist Beohar Rammanohar Sinha from Santiniketan.Shaeed Smarak (Matyrs’ Memorial)
A historic and monumental circular building in what was known as Gole-Bazar during British times and also as Wright Town. Shaheed Smarak has fresco murals or wall-paintings by Beohar Rammanohar Sinha and his colleagues from Santiniketan on the walls, balcony, parapet and dome. The central theme of the frescoes is India’s war of independence, fought between 16th and 19th century CE, starting with Rani Durgavati gearing-up against Moghul Emperor Akbar’s attack on Garha-Mandla (Jabalpur). Painted by the famous Beohar Rammanohar Sinha, this is the first painting ever made on Rani Durgavati. The provincial congress committee in the 1950s constructed an auditorium in the shape of a miniaturized version of Delhi’s Parliament House with a hall in the middle, a corridor running around it, and rooms for art and cultural activities including an Art Gallery. It is now being looked-after by a Public Trust.
D. B. Vallabh Das Palace
A building in the old city area of Hanuman Tal has been residence of Malpani family of Jabalpur.
Madan Mahal Bastion
Built by the Gond ruler Maharaja Madansahi in c. 1116 CE atop a rocky hill, the bastion dominates the skyline. The building is supposed to have been a part of his pleasure resort cum watch tower. The building is a plain and simple structure without any ornamention. It stands now like a watch tower on the summit of a hill poised on two gigantic hills, the upper part of which on one side overhangs the base and commands a magnificent view over the rich valley around. Looking at the structure and location of the building, it appears that it indeed served as a watch tower. At a short distance, an Ashwa-Shala (stable) exists and a Hathi-Khana (elephant cell) existed where the LIC office stands today. Close by is a Baoli (step-well) for constant supply of fresh potable water to the bastion.
Jabalpur is also famous for an eroded volcanic rock formations called Balancing Rock. This rock is enroute to the Madan-Mahal bastion near Deotal.
Sangram Sagar and Bajna Math
These medieval places of Tantra Sadhna were built by the Gond ruler Maharaja Sangramsahi between c. 1480-1540 CE.
Khandari Water Works
Small nature reserve and old dam on the way to Jabalpur’s Dumna aerodrome. Madhya Pradesh Tourism department runs a cafeteria here and whole place has great scenic beauty along with ample wild life.
The Beohar House
Constructed soon after completion of the building which now houses the High Court of MP. This private manor has had the singular honour of hosting several visiting luminaries including Mahatma Gandhi, Dr. Rajendra Prasad, Jawaharlal Nehru, Vinoba Bhave, Osho, Bacha Khan, Mirabehn, Jamnalal Bajaj, Maithili Sharan Gupt, Shankar Dayal Sharma, Kaka Kalelkar, Thakkar Bapa, Makhanlal Chaturvedi, Somnath Hore, Arunachal Perumal, Maharshi Mahesh Yogi, Medha Patkar, Nirmal Verma, Rehman, etc. History books of the early 1820-1830s refer to the vast expanse/estate of this manor as Jamnera and subsequently Beohar-Grove. It was later converted to Civil Lines by the British. When the railway line was laid, it bisected the area into North and South, and this area became Civil Lines (North). This entire area is now popularly referred-to as Beohar-Bagh, or Garden of the Beohars’. High Court of Madhya Pradesh is situated in this Beohar-Bagh.
Historic RadhaKrishna temple-complex of Beohar-dynasty.Radha Krishna Temple-Complex incorporating the Shiva Temple (Beohar-dynasty)
These Vaishnav and Shaiva temples in Jabalpur were constructed by Beohar-dynasty in c. 17-18th century CE and were the first temples in India to be opened to the Harijan (outcaste) in 1929 by Beohar Raghuvir Simha with his friends Ghanshyam Das Birla and Jamnalal Bajaj. The RadhaKrishna temple houses the idols of Shri Radha-Krishna (gifted by Maharaja Chhatrasal of Panna to the ancestors of Beohar-dynasty, supposed to be replicas of the idols of Bhagwan JugalKishore ji), along side Shri Ram-Janki ji and other Gods and Goddesses.
Bandhavgarh National Park
This national reserve forest has the highest density of tigers in the world, making it a good place to see a tiger in its natural habitat. It is in this valley where the white tiger was discovered.About 155 km from Jabalpur by road to Umaria.Jabalpur is the major railhead nearest to Bandhavgarh,it can be reached from here by 3–4 hours drive.
Kanha National park
The park was created in 1955 by a special law and, since then, it has dedicated itself in preserving a variety of animal species. Many endangered species have indeed been saved here. Today Kanha is among the few most scenic and beautiful wildlife reserves in Asia. This ‘Tiger Country’ is the ideal home for both predator and prey.Kanha National Park is one of the biggest national parks in India and Project Tiger, the tiger conservation program in India.About 160 km from Jabalpur by road to Mandla.Jabalput is the ideal as a break point in the journey to Kanha as it is the Nearest Major Airport and railhead.
Pench National park
Located on Jabalpur -Nagpur National Highway no.7 is one of the famous national tiger and bison park around Jabalpur & possibly the setting of Rudyard Kipling’s Jungle Book. About 190 km from Jabalpur by road,3–4 hours drive from here and the road is also excellent.
The breathtaking scenic beauty of Beohar-Sarovar also known popularly as Burhan-Sagar is about 20 kms on NH7 (Jabalpur-Sihora section), and can be reached by turning westward on Burhagarh-Deonagar concrete road 2 kms off NH7. Since mid-17th century CE when Burhagarh and Singodh villages were won by R.R. Beohar Dariyav Simha after defeating pindari invader Mir Khan (later Nawab Amir Khan of Rajputana), it had been the summer retreat of the Beohars (erstwhile Jagirdars of Jabalpur) and remains full of water all year round with lots of natural Indian lotuses. It is also frequented by migratory birds and is a roving-avian haven for the Painted Storks. The natural flow of rain water has been stopped by piling-up earth and lining the ridge with stone blocks thereby creating a reservoir. Several centuries ago, the construction of this ridged-dam was supervized by one Bodhraj/Burhan Shripaal who worked for the Beohar-family, hence the names ‘Beohar-Sarovar’ and also Burhan-Sagar. The village Burhagarh is situated on a hillock on top of which stood the Citadel of Beohars. As a guest of Beohar Rajendra Simha in 1933, Mahatma Gandhi stayed here. Beohar Rajendra Simha subsequently named this village GandhiGram.
A Vijayanagar suburb of Jabalpur, famous for a 76 feet high Lord Shiva statue which houses a cavern with replicas of Shivalingam from important holy shrines of Lord Shiva all over the country.The statue is excellent work of fine art.
Notable residents This section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia’s quality standards. (Consider using more specific clean up instructions.) Please improve this section if you can. The talk page may contain suggestions. (July 2011)
The lists in this article may contain items that are not encyclopedic. Please help out by removing such elements and incorporating appropriate items into the main body of the article. (July 2011)
Pt. Bhawani Prasad Tiwari, Member of Rajya Sabha, Ex Mayor, Poet (Translated Gitanjali)
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, Founder of Transcendental Meditation.
Osho (Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh), Philoshopher & Spiritual Leader
Beohar Rammanohar Sinha, International artist who illustrated the original manuscript of the Constitution on India.
Rani Durgavati Queen Of Gondvana, at mandala ,Fought with Muslim invader of Mugal Dynasty
K. S. Sudarshan former RSS Sarsangh Chalak First batch Graduate of Electronics And Telecommunication Govt.Engg.College Jabalpur www.thehindu.com/fline/fl1706/17060330.htm
Samarth Bhaiyya Ji Sarkar – Founder of Samrth Narmada Mission ” Save Narmada Save Earth”
Moru Bhau Munje (one of the first three pracharaks of RSS )
Prem Nath, Famous Bollywood Actor
Chandu Sarvate, Indian Test cricket player.
Baburao Paranjape Former Parliamentarian.
Harishankar Parsai (1924â€“1995), Hindi writer and satirist
Arjun Rampal, Famous Indian Model & Bollywood Actor
Rajindernath, Famous Bollywood Actor
Raghuvir Yadav, Famous Indian Television Actor of Mungerilal Ke Haseen Sapne fame
Ashutosh Rana, Bollywood Actor, Studied in Jabalpur
Aadesh Shrivastava, Bollywood Music Director, Brought up in Jabalpur
Deepak Sareen, Bollywood director of Aaina and Jab Pyar Kisi Se Hota Hai fame
Ajai Chaudhary, Co-founder HCL Technology
Dr. Ghulam Mustafa Khan, Researcher, Author, Scholar of Urdu Literature & Linguistics, Educationists & Spiritual
Leader of Pakistan
Beohar Rajendra Simha, litterateur, writer, social activist
Subhadra Kumari Chauhan, Famous Hindi poet settled in the city after her marriage
Madhu Yadav, International women’s Hokey Captain
Prof. H. P. Dixit, Former Vice Chancellor of IGNOU
V.M.Ignatius, Theatrist & Director of o.f.k. natya kala sanstha
Sharad Yadav, Famous politician, Studied in Jabalpur
Brajesh Mishra, Former National Security Advisor
Avirag Sharma, ISRO scientist
Saket Singh Kaurav, Famous Space Enthusiastic and Science Communicator
Shri Vivek Krishna Tankha, Additional Solicitor General of India
Pt. Kunjilal Dubey, Padma Bhushan, Ex speaker of MP assembly
Jadugar Anand – President, All India Magic Federation, World Famous Magician
Neha Uppal – MTV Speed Diva
Shiv Khare, Executive Director, Asian Forum of Parliamentarians on Population and Development (AFPPD), Bangkok, Thailand
Pt. Vishwa Nath Dubey – Ex mayor of Jabalpur. NECC Vice President and Owner of Phoenix Group of Industries
Arjun Rampal,famous bollywood actor
Abhas joshi ,star voice of india(participant)
The game of Snooker was conceived in Jabalpur. Origins of the game of Snooker are generally regarded as being in the latter half of the 19th century. Billiards had been a popular activity amongst British army officers stationed in India who stole the idea from the Indian game Carrom, and variations on the more traditional billiard games were devised. One variation was to add coloured balls in addition to the reds and black which were used for pyramid pool and life pool. This gave birth to the game of Snooker. Although snooker’s origin is not recorded explicitly, it is generally held that a Colonel Sir Neville Chamberlain (no relation to the World War II Prime Minister) conceived the game in the British Army Officer’s Mess in Jubbulpore, India, in 1875.
This section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia’s quality standards. (Consider using more specific clean up instructions.) Please improve this section if you can. The talk page may contain suggestions. (July 2011)
Jabalpur Cantonment is one of the largest amd most important cantonments of India spread in a beautifully developed vast and green area of about 7040 acres and population of 66,499 as per 2001 Census. It comprises Civil areas, Army formations and establishments like HQ Madhya Bharat Area, JAK Rifles Regimental Centre, Grenadiers Regimental Centre, Signal Training Centre, College of Material Management, Central Ordnance Depot, 506 Army Base Workshop, Military Hospital, HQ Chief Engineer Jabalpur Zone, Military Dairy Farm and HQ Recruiting Zone. Besides these, civil organizations under Ministry of Defence are Cantonment Board, Defence Estates Officer Jabalpur Circle and Controller of Defence Accounts. Bharat Ratna Bhimrao Ambedkar Institute of Telecom Training, a national level training institute of senior officers of BSNL, is also situated the cantonement.
Jabalpur Cantonment is located near the Railway Station and is well connected with prominent establishments and residential localities of the city. NH-12, 12 A and 7 join it with other cities. Jabalpur is the headquarter of West Central Railways and is well connected with mail and super-fast trains. Apart from broad-gauge railways, Jabalpur is notable for having narrow-gauge railways, which connect with Gondia. It is well connected by air to Delhi, Indore and Gwalior by Indian and Kingfisher Airlines.
Cantonment Boards are statutorily constituted local bodies, comprising of elected representatives, ex-officio and nominated members. Jabalpur Cantonment is a Class-I Cantonment in which the Board normally consists of President, Chief Executive Officer, eight elected members including the Vice president, 3 nominated members, 2 ex-officio members (besides the Station Commander as President) i.e. Garrison Engineer and SEMO and one nominated member of the District Magistrate. The CEO is a senior officer from the Indian Defence Estates Service, Group A (one of the Central Civil Services) who also acts as the Member-Secretary of the Board. The Station Commander of the Station is the Ex-officio President of the Cantonment Board who presides over the meetings of the Board. The GOC-in-Chief, of the Army Command concerned, acts as the local Govt. for the Cantonment Boards situated within his Command.
The administration of the Cantonment Boards is supervised by the Defence Estates Organization. The Principal Director, Defence Estates (PDDE) who is a senior officer of the level of Additional Secretary to the Govt. of India, is posted at the Headquarters of each Army Command. The PDDE, apart from being advisor to the GOC-in-C, has important role to control and direct the functioning of the Cantonment Boards. He further reports to the Director General, Defence Estates (DGDE), New Delhi. The DGDE is an officer of the level of Secretary to the Govt. of India who supervises and directs the administration of 62 Cantonment Boards located in India. He further reports the Ministry of Defence.
The present President is Brig. S. K. Pillai, VSM while Shri K.J.S.Chauhan, IDES is the Chief Executive Officer of Jabalpur Cantt Board.
Cobra ecological and training park golf coursesIntroduction
Cobra Ecological and Training Park is spread over an area of 2000 acres, which houses the ranges of the three centers. This area houses an 18-hole golf course. Due to the consistent efforts of HQ MB Area and the centers located in Jabalpur, the park is maintained to the existing standards.
Presently it is a full-fledged 18-hole green golf course playing to par 71 on a stretch of 6184 yards. The golf course offers a fair variety of play and is by no means easy to get around, The average club golfer, as well as single-figure handicapper is required to keep his/her head down all the time.
However, a serious golfer can definitely romp home with his/her handicap, provided he or she is determined. Since the course is still full of ground under various stages of development, it is prudent to warn that every golfer must get acquainted with the local rules, especially those relating to a ball lying outside the fairway underplay.
Before the Second World War, there were two golf courses in Jabalpur. One course, which was maintained as an annexe of the Narbada Club, was scrapped in 1954 when the university was built on the area.
In 1961, some enthusiastic person discovered the map of the golf course (at the present site), which was being run by British Warrant Officers before 1947. With the blessing of the Sub Area Commander (Jabalpur had not yet become as Area Head quarters) and the Comdt 1 STC the present golf course was started.
It was in 1962 a 9-hole (Browns) golf course was inaugurated by the Sub Area Commander, Brig Budh Singh, Sub Area Cdr. The great transformation was started in 1982 with the commissioning of four browns.
In 1983 the nine-hole course was converted to a 18-hole golf course. In 1987 all browns were converted to greens.
The purpose of the park is to promote the game of golf, thereby providing a competitive environment and social interaction between the Armed Forces Officers and civilian government officers or very selectively, private civilian gentlemen and ladies.
In order to ensure proper maintenance and upkeep of the park, the responsibility has been given to all the centers. The overall responsibility for the management of the park is of HQ 1STC.
The equipment of the course is generally held centrally with the Park JCO/NCO. However some of the equipment for maintenance of the greens has been distributed on a permanent basis to the centres. The equipment kept centrally can be utilized by the centres on as-required basis and the Park JCO/NCO ensures that the equipment is given to the centres for maintenance of the greens and fairways.
HotelsHotel Narmada Jackson’s [ITC] 5 Star,
Hotel Satya Ashoka 4 Star
Hotel Jabali Palace 3 Star
Prestige Princess 3 Star
Hotel Kalchuri Residency [MPT] 3 Star
Hotel Samdareeya 3 Star
Hotel Gulzar 3 Star
Hotel Krishna 3 Star
Hotel Rishi Regency 3 Star
Hotel Arihant Palace 3 Star (Budget hotel but very good with excellent Indian food)
The Hotel Narmada Jackson’s (erstwhile Jackson’s) dates back to the Colonial British Raj era in the nineteenth century. Owned and managed by the British during pre – independence days, it is currently owned and managed by the Indo Canadian promoters – The ITC Group. The Hotel has been thoroughly renovated and modernized to aid ultra – modern amenities to give this heritage property its new image and Name- Narmada Jackson’s. up coming five star hotel is welcome [itc ].
Major educational institutes
Jabalpur has many old and prestigious institutes of Madhya Pradesh: Some of them are:
JNAU – Jawaharlal Nehru Agriculture University (State Government)
IIITDM – Indian Institute of Information Technology , Design and Manufacturing (Union Government)
RDU – Rani Durdavati University (erstwhile Jabalpur University) (State Government)
Veterinary University (State Government)
NSCBMU – Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Medical University (State Government)
JEC – Jabalpur Engineering College (part of RDU)
Hitkarini Sabha – Hitkarini
Jabalpur has 4 Malls as of Dec 2011
- Sauth Avenu Mall Narmada Road
- Treasure island Mall Narmada Road
- Samdariya mall Civic Center
- BIG Bazaar Sauth Avenu Mall
- Max Retail Sauth Avenu Mall
- Tata Wedtside Samdariya mall
- Relince footprint Samdariya mall
- Reliance trends Samdariya mall
- Reliance fresh Total store in jabalpur
Food & beverage
- 10 downing street pub in sauth avenu mall
- Cafe Cafe Day
- Coffee Culture
- Club City Restorent
- Indian Cofe House
- Food Junction